This walk focuses on the medieval history of Dublin.
First constructed in the early 13th century and in continuous occupation since its establishment, Dublin Castle has played a prominent role in Ireland’s history. The Castle was the administrative centre of English and British rule throughout Ireland’s turbulent history. It was the official residence of the English monarch’s Justiciars, Chief Lieutenants, Lord Lieutenants and latterly Viceroys, and also visiting English or British monarchs. It was a dungeon for state prisoners and was also the seat of Parliament before Parliament House was built on College Green.
Christchurch Catherdal is the older of Dublin’s 2 medieval cathedrals. Originally founded by a Christianised Viking king of Dublin, this cathedral dates from Norman times. It has a magnificent crypt which houses exhibitions. Christchurch was restored in the 1870s thanks to a Dublin whiskey distiller named Henry Roe.
St. Patrick’s Cathedral is one of Dublin’s two medieval cathedrals. It was founded in 1192 by the first Anglo Norman Archbishop of Dublin. It was fully restored in the 1860s thanks to the Guinness family.
This walk will also include a look at a section of the medieval city wall and the earliest surviving medieval church of St. Audeon.