This plaque is on the traffic island between College Street, College Green and Westmoreland Street. It is the easiest of all the plaques to find as it is below the statue of Thomas Moore.
One of Moore’s best known poems is about the Vale of Avoca and is titled The Meeting of the Waters. The structure behind the statue is a long closed gents toilets.
Assuming Bloom – and Joyce – to be correct about the urinal being there when the statue was installed in 1857, then it was amongst the first public urinals in Ireland. The first public toilet in Britain was in Fleet Street, London, in 1852.
Listen to a reading of Moore’s poem here http://www.archive.org/download/meetingwaters_1212_librivox/meetingofthewaters_moore_llw_64kb.mp3