Merrion Square is an elegant Georgian square surrounding a lovely public park, laid out in the 18th century.
On the west side of the square is the National Art Gallery and Leinster House, home of the Dail, the Irish Parliament.
Lincoln Place is the location of Sweny’s Chemist shop, immortalised in James Joyce’s Ulysses.
Kildare Street includes the main entrance to Leinster House as well as the National Library and National Museums buildings.
Dawson Street is home to three significant Georgian buildings. These are the Mansion House, St Ann’s Church and No. 19, home to the Royal Irish Academy.
College Green was originally a Viking assembly place; it is now a busy crossroads with very little grass in sight. It faces Trinity College on one side and the former Houses of Parliament, now a major bank, on another. Built in 1731 and added to later, the Parliament house was the world’s first purpose-built parliament building.
The tour finishes in the grounds of Trinity College, after which you might want to visit the combined Book of Kells and Old Library exhibitions.